Mission Crossroads

SPR 2018

Mission Crossroads is a three-time-a-year magazine focused on worldwide work of the PC(USA). It offers news and feature stories about mission personnel, international partners and grassroots Presbyterians involved in God's mission in the world.

Issue link: https://missioncrossroads.epubxp.com/i/932333

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 14 of 23

Mission Crossroads 13 and life begins to get harsh. We've been in homes where they haven't had water or electricity for more than a year." Coverdale says the YAVs and CHRPA volunteers and staff can often fix most of the problems they encounter in a day, which they find very rewarding. eir impact is immediate. "ese aren't broken pipes; these are people. e experience is an extremely human one." e challenges YAVs face are not just in a U.S. context. Hunger, poverty and homelessness exist on every continent. e YAV program has a longtime partnership with the Church of Scotland, which is committed to ministry throughout the country. More than 15 years ago, the church of Scotland formed the Priority Areas Program. ey decided that the responsibility of dealing with poverty shouldn't just fall to the churches in poor areas, but should be the first priority of the whole church."In carrying out this work, we have deliberately worked collaboratively with others," said Lynn MacLellan, site coordinator for the YAV program in Scotland. "It's all about relationship building and helping people to realize their strengths and gifts and helping them to thrive. It also serves as a challenge to churches across the entire country by claiming poverty is not just an issue for faith communities near impoverished areas, but everywhere." e Young Adult Volunteer program offered through the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is open to young adults of all denominations, ages 19–30. For the YAV, the benefits include a year of vocational discernment and the opportunity to live and work with the support of an intentional Christian community, as they explore their relationship with God and live more simply in response to an unsustainable human demand for natural resources. For the church and the world, the YAV program is helping to form the next generation of globally aware, faithful and passionate leaders. To date, there are more than 1,700 alums of the program involved in the work of the church in exciting and new ways. In the 2017–18 YAV year, there are four international sites and 16 national sites where the young adults serve in communities alongside local people of faith responding to poverty, violence and injustice. It costs about $22,000 to fully support a YAV for one year. YAV participants are asked to raise about 20 percent of this cost through their own fundraising efforts. e remaining 80 percent is funded through donations from individuals and the annual Pentecost Offering. APPLY FOR YAV SERVICE The March 1 (international) and June 1 (national) application deadlines are approaching. Learn more and apply today: youngadultvolunteers.org Luke Rembold YAV Taylor Garrett works to organize clothes for the "Feast of Hope" Thanksgiving clothing drive at La Mesa Presbyterian Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Mission Crossroads - SPR 2018